Skip to main content

The Road To Umokoro: A Tale Of Damian And Ngozi.

The Road To Umokoro: A Tale Of Damian And Ngozi.





"Aunty, please move your bag now. I have been complaining about it since we boarded this bus. You know this space is tight as it is, yet you are now making things worse by stuffing all your things here. What happened to the boot for God's sakes? Some humans sha"  Damian swore in anger as he tried to adjust his left leg against the mountain of baggage that this troublesome woman had stored against his leg.

If the reason he was traveling home wasn't annoying enough, the fact that he had foolishly decided against driving his car home was another reason his blood was boiling.

If only he had driven his car, he won't have to be stuck in an uncomfortable sitting position with this demon of a woman who is doing everything possible to frustrate his trip.

If the devil was human, he'd surely be in this woman's form.

"For a man, you're just too troublesome and annoying. For God's sakes, how is my bag disturbing you now, ehn?" the devil incarnate woman threw at him in anger, her eyes flashing danger signs.

"But it is fucking messing with my leg space and giving me cramps, Jesus!!! How many times do you want me to reiterate this?" Damian screamed at her, not believing her effrontery.

"Then you should have chartered a bus or fly if you don't want discomfort. You Sabi better thing but you can't afford it. Broke ass nigga"  With that she hissed at him and proceeded to push her heavy bags against his leg one more time.

"Maybe I should have done either of the two, at least I won't have to be saddled with traveling this far journey with an uncouth, manner less woman like you. I just pity the man who is going to marry you."

"What did you just say to me ehn? Repeat it and let me show you pepper in this bus. Stupid man. Mannerless he goat. Anofia!! Onye Nzuzu!!! Fool!!!"

In a flash, Damian had the urge to slap her silly. His hand was in the air before he could even stop himself.

The shouts and appeals of the other passengers stopped Damian from doing what he has never done before. Raised his hands against a woman.

" Oh, so you want to beat me ehn?  Come and beat me now. Shameless man!!!  Your mates are traveling home with their cars but you are here dragging space with a woman.
nwoke adighi Ike!!!!!!"  She clapped her palms in his face for emphasis as she served him the insults hot hot.

"Madam, e Don do you now. Ahn Ahn, na only you dey this bus? E Don do!!!"  Someone from the back shouted at her.

"Women too like wahala and they no get power for the wahala ooo" another passenger chipped in from the front

"Would you like to trade seats with me?" A gentle voice prodded from the back, amidst the plenty noise and insults flying around the bus

Damian looked back to see this beautiful girl with big doe eyes looking earnestly at him, waiting for his reaction.

"I wouldn't want to cause you any inconvenience, it's okay. I'd manage till we get to Umokoro."  Damian reassured the kind stranger.

"No, it's no inconvenience. Umokoro is more than a stone throw, and you don't want to develop cramps in your legs when you alight. I have a smaller frame, I'd fit in there perfectly" Doe Eyes reassured him.

And with that, they swapped seats, with Damian telling her thank you a gazillion times.

"Man wrapper" Devil's Incarnate muttered under her breath as Doe Eyes sat beside her.

The ride to Umokoro continued with no further drama from anybody.

************************************

The bus finally got to Umokoro at quarter past the hour of eight. Every passenger alighted at the bus park, tired and exhausted.

Damian picked his only luggage and proceeded to flag down a taxi that would transport him to his mother's house.

He had taken two steps before he remembered Doe Eyes and quickly ran back to where she was collecting her luggage.

"Hey, erm, can I help you with your stuff?"  he offered like the gentleman he was before that devil woman brought out the miscreant in him.

"Nooo, I gat it. It's not that heavy, you know?" Doe Eyes declined as she collected her luggage from the driver.

"I just want to say thank you for what you did earlier. I am grateful. You're the reason I didn't develop cramps on the journey. I am eternally grateful." Damian said, flashing her his best smile.

He was rewarded with a beautiful smile too. Gosh! This babe has a very nice smile and beautiful dentition.

" It's okay. I am just glad I could help. Oh! That's my father's driver waiting for me. Erm, I have to leave now, see you around." with that, she hurried over to where a white 2019 Toyota Avalon was packed.

"Wait! Can I at least have your digits before you go?"  He screamed as she rushed into the car.

"081354829... "  She called out before the driver zoomed off.

"Fuck!  I didn't catch her name and I didn't get the complete digits." 

He wanted to run after the crazy impatient driver, just to get the two last digits, but he decided against it.

Feeling dejected and pained, he got a taxi and started the trip to his parents' house.

************************************
" Mama, this is outrageous now. How can you be arranging a wife for me. Nobody does that stuff anymore in this age and time." Damian shook his head in disbelief for the umpteenth time.

He just couldn't believe that his mother summoned him home for an arranged introduction.

" Ohhhhh!  It is wrong for I your mother to find you a wife, but it is right for you to bring one mgbeke home for me from that your computer, okwya? Over my dead body. I was arranged for your late father, and that is what I am doing for you. It is tradition, nwa m nwoke. Ehn Ehn, hope you enjoyed the Okpa, I knew it was your favorite and that's why I prepared it for you." she suddenly asked, trying to change the subject.

" Mama, this is not about Okpa and you know it. This is about my life. I am the one who will spend forever with this woman that I barely know. Mama, ọ bụ na amaghị nwanyị a, how do you want me to cope? " Damian lashed out in a frustrated tone.

" Don't worry my son, I have done my findings about her. Trust me, you'd like her. Her parents are nice people. She is a nurse in the city and she makes lots of money. Aha ya bu Ngozi and ọ dị afọ iri abụọ na asatọ, just 28 years old. O bu màlù mṃ ā. You will like her, I promise you"

"I better do." He muttered before storming out of the living room, leaving his mother staring at his retreating form.

The next day, Damian and his kinsmen visited the home of his prospective bride with gifts and other items for the introduction of the family and the couple.

The family of the girl welcomed them to their abode in high spirits, and proceeded to start the rites.

After the opening dance and other traditional rites, the ceremony proper commenced

"Igbo kwenu!!! Igbo kwenu!!! Kwezuenu oooo!!!!"  Ngozi's uncle stood to address everyone, as the representative from the bride's family.

"we have gathered here today to introduce both families to each other, and most especially to introduce our children to themselves, since they have not met themselves or know themselves before. But, we want to assure you that our daughter is a very good girl, ọ bụ ezigbo nwa agbọghọ. We have trained her well and your son will never regret marrying into this family. Once again, we welcome you anyị iwu" Mazi Okeke rounded up his address and took his seat.

" Thank you, anyị Iwu. We are glad to be here and we want to assure you that our son is a good boy too, o bu ezigbo nwa. And your daughter will never regret marrying him either. Thank you once again for having us in your wonderful home. I think it's time for us to see our wife to be now. " Damian's uncle, Mazi Chibuzo finished speaking and took his seat.

Mazi Okeke beckoned to one of the women and whispered in her ears, she in turn tapped two other women and they went inside to bring out the bride to be.

Gorgeously dressed in a skirt and blouse, with matching shoes and purse, Ngozi was led out of the house to meet her prospective in law.

As she walked to where Damian's family sat, Damian's breath caught in his throat, surprise written all over his face.

"You!!!??"  Damian's voice broke out in a soft whisper.

"Oh my God!!! It's you!!!" Ngozi's voice caught in her throat as the recognition hit her hard.

She recognized him immediately she set eyes on him.

 Her husband to be was the guy on the bus ride to Umokoro.

The End.

©Aderonke Adeyeye 2019

Image by: Farabale Africa

Which of the women do you think it was, the devil incarnate or Doe Eyes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Clumsy Wife

When you were asked about your swollen right eye, you said you sleepwalked and hit your face against the wall. We all said sorry and asked you to get well soon. A few days after, it was your chin that was shifted to the side. In response, you blamed it again in your clumsiness and that you feel off the bed. You are a grown woman in her late 30's. This time, we had questions that we couldn't dare to ask you. Weeks later, you were limping and you assured us that it was your clumsiness that made you fall down the stairs. At this point, we faced our business and wished you all the best. 2 months later, you're lying in a golden casket, 6 feet under the ground.  The autopsy read that you died from a deep gash on your forehead, probably a hit from the bloody plank of wood that was found beside your corpse. At this point, you want to talk. You wanted to say it all. But it's too late. Your husband claimed you hit your head on the plank, and we all believed him because you told u

She Must Be Obeyed Movie Review

  I don't understand Funke Akindele's obsession with the music industry Sha. She is always trying to project the industry one way or the other - we have Industreet already. On this new one Sha, I don't know how to feel about it.  This storyline is great. The life of a Celebrity musician behind the camera and in front of the camera. But the directing get as e be. The movie just dey anyhow. But the acting from some cast made up for the 'anyhowness'. Bishop (Okon) was amazing. Lateef was great. Gayness doesn't fit Akah. He shouldn't try it again. Vee tried small. I don't understand what Ali Nuhu was acting. Lizzy Jay sef dey vex person. The entire Rachael Okonkwo family weren't it at all. Mama Gee no try at all. Don't give her a drunk role again. Nancy Isime was Nancy Isime, Just there. Shaffy Bello was great as always. In all, I will give it a 4/10.

Big Love Movie Review

  While this movie tried not to be your regular Nollywood Romantic movie, I still got annoyed at some small small mistakes that I saw. Inkblot is too big for some mistakes that were present in this movie. Overall, Big Love is nice. It's a movie that would take you through a rollercoaster of emotions. The beginning was quite not it.  Most of the dialogues got me rolling my eyes, like warahell. Casting was great. Storyline was amazing Directing wasn't coordinated. There were scenes that looked rushed and scattered. PS - VJ Adams should just leave Bimbo for Timini. Their chemistry is mind-blowing. Timini had grown as an actor. And it's great to see. Aunty Shaffy is great, as always. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.