Skip to main content

Gangs of Lagos Review



 It is no longer news that the much awaited Jade Osiberu's movie "Gangs of Lagos" is out finally!

For real, I can say categorically that I was one of the few people who couldn't wait to set their gaze on this cinematic piece that promised so much.


Of course, It's Jade now. The Jade of "Isoken", "Sugar Rush", "Gidi Up", the recent "The Trade" and our adrenaline pumping star movie of the year "Brotherhood".

It is the Jade that always gives us blockbuster movies back to back, hence I wasn't expecting anything below par.


When the thriller dropped, the movie showed so much prospect, especially with the amazing effects and fight scenes. Not to forget to mention the amazing cast. We have the likes of Tobi Bakre, Susu Wellington, Chike, Tayo Faniyan, and Bimbo Ademoye.

The movie promised to be lit, So, imagine my joy when I got a notification that it was dropping on Prime Video.


I was elated to say the least. I was pumped! I ensured that my viewing was set to when i was done with the day's activities.

You know, I was done with work. Showered. Eaten. And started watching the 2 hours plus movie.

This is my Review of the 2 Hours flick:


* Once Again, Nollywood mis-shot. Gangs of Lagos is cool but some dialogues were so long and made some scenes too long. Such that I got very bored. 

Also, if I am not mistaken, that begining part of the movie was supposed to be a flashback, abi. Like a story set in an older time. Why am I seeing more of the new times and less of the olden days?


* Then, another issue I have is how Jade managed to ensure that the "action", and violence overshadowed the major theme - the fight for power.


* Trust me, at some point, the movie just looked like a show of who fit craze pass. It was like she was just showing us violence

Why because she focused on the jimjimjim of the movie and lost track of the theme.


* Compare King of Boys and this movie. Same theme, same violence. But they are different because Kemi Adetiba made the Battle for Power pronounced. It was what gave us butterflies, the effects and actions were just 


* Some scenes were just unnecessary. Eg the Black and Kamaru and Adesuwa trip to the wharf didn't divulge much. Even though, I think the scene was to intimate us about a later development (the ransacking of that warehouse where they kept the weapons). Their banter in the car was unnecessary. 

Once again, too much talk.


* Truthfully, the horrific scenes were very gory and that shows how grown Nollywood has become in terms of effects and all. 


Finally, the actors that gave me what I wanted.


1. If Tobi doesn't clear awards at the next AMVCA, then them don APC-lize the thing. Give Tobi his flowers already. As an artist, Tobi Bakre is really growing and I am here for all the beauty of his acting. He is freaking good.


Chike should goan sit somewhere, or work on his acting or face his music squarely.

 Adesuwa was there. Tayo Faniyan tried.

 Iyabo Ojo ISSA freaking goat. Burst my head even with the minor scenes.

Surprisingly, Zlatan abi did well too. I am impressed. The lady that Chike impregnated is a star in the making. She is really good.

Bimbo did her Barbie thing. She is there. Nothing spectacular.


Chioma Chukwuka was amazing too. She ate her role and left no crumbs. 


Overall I'd give it a 6/10. For storyline, casting, Picture quality, good acting of some actors and effects.

It's a movie you'd like but you might have to press "forward" a couple of times sha.


Thank you for reading. Stay tuned for more reviews of your favorite movies.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Clumsy Wife

When you were asked about your swollen right eye, you said you sleepwalked and hit your face against the wall. We all said sorry and asked you to get well soon. A few days after, it was your chin that was shifted to the side. In response, you blamed it again in your clumsiness and that you feel off the bed. You are a grown woman in her late 30's. This time, we had questions that we couldn't dare to ask you. Weeks later, you were limping and you assured us that it was your clumsiness that made you fall down the stairs. At this point, we faced our business and wished you all the best. 2 months later, you're lying in a golden casket, 6 feet under the ground.  The autopsy read that you died from a deep gash on your forehead, probably a hit from the bloody plank of wood that was found beside your corpse. At this point, you want to talk. You wanted to say it all. But it's too late. Your husband claimed you hit your head on the plank, and we all believed him because you told u

She Must Be Obeyed Movie Review

  I don't understand Funke Akindele's obsession with the music industry Sha. She is always trying to project the industry one way or the other - we have Industreet already. On this new one Sha, I don't know how to feel about it.  This storyline is great. The life of a Celebrity musician behind the camera and in front of the camera. But the directing get as e be. The movie just dey anyhow. But the acting from some cast made up for the 'anyhowness'. Bishop (Okon) was amazing. Lateef was great. Gayness doesn't fit Akah. He shouldn't try it again. Vee tried small. I don't understand what Ali Nuhu was acting. Lizzy Jay sef dey vex person. The entire Rachael Okonkwo family weren't it at all. Mama Gee no try at all. Don't give her a drunk role again. Nancy Isime was Nancy Isime, Just there. Shaffy Bello was great as always. In all, I will give it a 4/10.

Big Love Movie Review

  While this movie tried not to be your regular Nollywood Romantic movie, I still got annoyed at some small small mistakes that I saw. Inkblot is too big for some mistakes that were present in this movie. Overall, Big Love is nice. It's a movie that would take you through a rollercoaster of emotions. The beginning was quite not it.  Most of the dialogues got me rolling my eyes, like warahell. Casting was great. Storyline was amazing Directing wasn't coordinated. There were scenes that looked rushed and scattered. PS - VJ Adams should just leave Bimbo for Timini. Their chemistry is mind-blowing. Timini had grown as an actor. And it's great to see. Aunty Shaffy is great, as always. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.